Wednesday, February 27, 2013

temple square


Since Salt Lake City was one of our overnight stops on our road trip, we decided to spend the next morning exploring Temple Square, the headquarters for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Neither Dane nor myself is Mormon, but we had heard a lot of buzz about the beauty of the square. And I must say, the grounds were very clean and meticulously landscaped. We also had an absolutely gorgeous blue-sky morning, which never hurts.


The square was a mix of sacred and secular elements existing side by side.


I find religious sites very interesting to visit. I really know very little about Mormonism, and it was fascinating to see their church and tabernacle and to read all of the little plaques scattered about that noted important events and people in their history. I also appreciate that so much passion is always poured into sacred sites by their believers--these types of places always seem to have such a reverent and earnest quality in the air. I felt the same when visiting Westminster Abbey and Notre Dame de Paris--the devoted love for the site was palpable.


No comments:

Post a Comment