Monday, May 7, 2012

Inspired by: Mary Blair

I'm not sure if it's possible to go through childhood without seeing any of Mary Blair's work--she's the Disney artist behind concept drawings for Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, and Song of the South; she created the character designs for the "It's a Small World" ride at Disneyland--but I didn't really know anything about her until a few days ago, when I stumbled across her page while on Wikipedia. After reading, I immediately Google Imaged her work and spent more time than I'll admit perusing.  I spend a lot of time Google Imaging.

I love how her artwork looks like mid-century shapes and Eastern European folk art had a gorgeous baby together. Sometimes the artwork I enjoy can lean a little too heavily towards the whimsical side, but her paintings are not so childish as they are childlike. Which means I can still keep my adult street cred. 

 Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome! i've always been a fan of hers. i feel like her style had a bit of a comeback, recently... or maybe she's just been heavily influential. i was working on the poster art for a show i did some time back and based the shapes and shading on this aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete