Monday, May 21, 2012

DIY: hand-stamped placemats


When I saw Emma's table runner DIY tutorial at A Beautiful Mess, I knew I had to try their stamping technique on some items of my own. I have a set of placemats handed down to me from my Grandma that I rarely use, because a) they had an apple/country motif that doesn't really fit with my decor, and b) my table is rarely set, let alone decked out with some fancy placemats. By sprucing them up a bit, I hope to use them more often now that they fit my funky "dining" room (which is used for crafts & record-listening 90% of the time). I based my design on the cool ceramic workings at dalhaus--alas, their pieces cost slightly more than this DIY.


You will need: old placemats, cardboard cut in the shape of your stamp, glue, a wine cork, fabric paint, a paintbrush, a pencil, & a straightedge

Lay out your placemat. Since my design was symmetrical, I used my straightedge to draw a line down the center. Glue the cork to the back of the cardboard to create a handle for your stamp. Dip your stamp in some paint until it is lightly covered, and stamp out your design, "refilling" it when necessary. I wanted a light & faded look, but you can use the paintbrush to fill in your design. Let dry according to the paint bottle instructions, then, if your placemats are washable, wash on the delicate cycle or by hand.
If I did this project again, I would create multiple stamps for myself--by the last two placemats, the shape wasn't as sharp as it was in the beginning, due to the paint softening the edges of the stamp.

I really love my new placemats! Now I just need more dining room chairs to go with the two that my old roommate and I saved from a curbside dumpster. Frugality is the lesson here. 

1 comment:

  1. These are lovely! Thanks for linking to my work and glaze designs- I'll have to give this a try myself ;)!

    ReplyDelete